A fire in a villa belonging to a Dutch citizen in Ambengan in the Banjar district of Buleleng was probably caused by an electrical fault, according to officials.
The villa in the Villa Banjar Beach development — which was vacant at the time — went up in flames at around 8am on February 13. Witnesses reported that the fire started in the neighbouring guardhouse, but fanned by strong winds it soon spread to the thatched roof of the main building.
When fire-fighters arrived at the scene they found that the property was locked, and were unable to enter to tackle the blaze. The villa was destroyed in the fire, with a television, lawnmower, generator, two gas stoves and three air-conditioning units among the items reported ruined.
The cost of the damage was estimated at Rp1 billion (US$112,000).
Banjar Police spokesman Burhanudin said the fire was probably caused by an electrical fault in the guardhouse beside the villa.
“The fire seems to have started in the guard post, and then spread to the main building, which was about five metres to the north,” he said.
Burhanudin said police were awaiting a full forensic report on the blaze, but added that burned cables found in the guardhouse suggested an electrical fault.
“Regarding the cause, we can’t be certain yet, but it looks likely that it was caused by a short circuit,” he said.Filed under: Headlines