Mount Merapi in Central Java has killed 322 people since it began erupting late last month, and over 130,000 people are still living in makeshift camps, an official said on Tuesday.
“The Merapi death toll has reached 322 people. More than 130,000 people are still living in temporary shelters,” disaster management official Agam Ferdatama said, updating the previous toll of 309 dead.
“Rescuers found many bodies in the incinerated area of Cangkringan,” he said.
The government reduced the exclusion zone on Friday for the second time in a week because of the volcano’s declining volatility, allowing more refugees to return to their homes.
Ferdatama said they had updated the number of refugees from more than 200,000 people.
Merapi killed around 1,300 people in 1930 but experts say November has seen its biggest convulsions since 1872.
Tags: Central Java, death, Mt Merapi, toll, volcanoThis entry was posted on Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 at 4:29 pm and is filed under News Alerts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.